December 19, 2014          Login  
 
 
 
Home
 
 
 
Elected Officials
 
 
 
Minutes & Agendas
 
 
 
City Departments
 
 
 
City Services
 
 
 
Online Services
 
 
 
City News
 
 
 
Our Community
 
 
City DepartmentsParks & CemeteryCemetery History   
Enter Title Minimize

Cemetery History

The DeWitt City Cemetery, located on the east side of North Bridge Street, ranks among the oldest in Clinton County. The facts and dates of its origin remain obscure, but it is believed to have originated as the earliest burial grounds for the Scott settlement.

DeWitt CemeteryIt is reasonable to assume that since Captain Scott was the original owner of the land which now comprises the cemetery, he may have set a small parcel aside for use as a cemetery, and further, that the land may not have been deeded to DeWitt Township until the early 1840's when he sold off the surrounding lands.

At that time, DeWitt Township instituted the policy of establishing township- owned and controlled cemeteries. As years passed, additional land was acquired and the cemetery became the major graveyard of the DeWitt area.

Historical MarkerIn 1965, when the Village of DeWitt became a City, DeWitt Township turned the operation and maintenance of the cemetery over to the City and it became known as the DeWitt City Cemetery.

Much of the history of Clinton County, as well as that of the DeWitt area, is recorded in the stones of the DeWitt City Cemetery. Many of Clinton County's most notable pioneers are buried here, including war veterans from as far back as the War of 1812.

In April of 1988, the City Council approved a request from the local VFW Post to erect a monument in the Cemetery to honor the veterans buried there. Later that year, the City Council approved the request for the placement of a spot light on the Veteran's Memorial and for the VFW to maintain the American Flag and the City to pay for the monthly electric bill to light the memorial.

Memorial MonumentEvery Memorial Day, the local VFW Post holds a ceremony at the DeWitt City Cemetery in memory of the brave men and women who have served in the armed forces of the United States. There are 75 Civil War veterans who rest in the DeWitt City Cemetery. In the spring of 1999, the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) honored these soldiers by furnishing each grave with a reproduction of a specially designed grave marker/flag holder. The marker was patterned after the membership badge of the GAR. The initials "GWA" and "Post 58" (named after the George W. Anderson Post No. 58) were cast within the center circle of the badge's star.

The DeWitt Millennium Garden Club has created a Healing Garden in the northeast section of the cemetery that has been designed as a contemplative area to heal mind, body and spirit for those wishing to memorialize a loved one, a marriage or a family event with an engraved brick. As one enters the garden through a Victorian arbor and fencing, the bricks are randomly placed throughout the meandering pathway leading to benches for contemplation. On either side of the brick path are beautiful perennial flower beds. The garden is enclosed with shrubs and trees giving a sense of peace, serenity and quiet. If you wish to purchase a brick to memorialize a loved one or event then go to healingbricks to obtain an application.

Continuous efforts are being made to expand and enhance the appearance of the DeWitt City Cemetery. Honoring our past and planning for the future, we are proud of our cemetery.

Genealogy Information

Interested parties may view the City's cemetery records at City Hall during regular business hours 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.